The Party of European Socialists today underlined its full support for the European Women’s Lobby 50/50 campaign for more women at the top of European politics.
Zita Gurmai, President of PES Women and who is taking part in the European Women’s Lobby campaign launch today, said “It gives me great pleasure to support the European Women’s Lobby 50/50 campaign. We need more women at every level of European politics, including at the top. It has been a disgrace to see how few women were ever mentioned in all that talk about people supposedly in the frame for top EU jobs. I think it made people realize that something needed to be done to promote the involvement of women. The EU is not a men’s club.”
PES President Poul Nyrup Rasmussen said “Equal representation of women and men in political life is an important principle for socialists and social democrats. The PES is doing all it can to promote women in politics – as we are to achieve broader equality between women and men. There is still a long way to go, including within our own movement. We must, and we will, make progress towards equal representation of women and men in European politics.”
PES 50/50 facts
- Its statutes commit the PES to “seek internal equality and equal representation of men and women in our bodies and meetings”
- The Spanish Socialist Government has a majority of women, and 10 out of 25 members of the British Labour Government are women
- Half the candidates chosen by the UK Labour Party for the 2009 European elections are women
- In Italian elections this year 30 per cent of those elected for the new Partito Democratico were women.
- The focus of this year’s PES Women’s Conference – taking place in Madrid on November 29 – is Women in Politics.
The PES encourages its activists and member parties to support the campaign by adding their names to the campaign website http://www.5050democracy.eu
Filed under: Uncategorized |